Saturday, January 24, 2009

Watching such a young family take the role of First family is quite intriguing to me for some reason. In some ways I feel like I should be worried about the lack of wrinkles and gray hair evidenced by Barack and Michelle Obama. These characteristics generally signify wisdom, experience, and security. Although I am definitely not at peace with the all the positions our new president holds, I'm still very happy for African American people across our country and what Barack Obama's swearing in signifies to them. These two aspects of Tuesday inauguration make me really curious about what will happen during Obama's term.
I watched some news clips about Mr. and Mrs. Obama's debut as Mr. and Mrs. President at a series of inaugural balls. What interested me most is the fashion statements the First Lady has been making so far. The white ball gown she wore has been a hit all around. One thing I thought was cool was how she kept her plans a secret and then chose to wear the designs of little known American desinger Jason Wu. When asked what labels she often chooses to wear she replied that J. Crew is a favorite of hers. American women love the fact that they can mimic their First lady in affordable fashions. I think it's great that she doesn't think she has to have hoity-toity labels to make her family look good.
I like the novelty of observing this young family including daughters only ages 7 and 10 take the White House. I pray they will do the best things for this country and always remember that there is a sovereign God they will have to answer to for their great responsibility.

3 comments:

TKB said...

glad to see you posted something new! I find Michelle's style to be very fun actually...*gasp!* (shun! Shuuuuunnnn!)

Unknown said...

Very well put, Leanna!

Melissa Phelps said...

I'm not at an economic standpoint where I consider J.Crew affordable shopping. It's a little like splurging when I shop there.
Fortunately I'm not totally crazy about a lot of their clothes, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything.
Weird that Mrs. O picked that as one of her favorites. It seems like such a sorority kid store to me.