Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Speeding Tickets

I have gotten two speeding tickets in my life for reasons that are obvious to most people who ride with me for a significant distance. This summer I think I've started to analyze why I have this compulsion to speed. I came up with at least two reasons.
The first reason I came up with was that there is little that lifts my spirits as quickly as a drive through the country on a warm summer evening. For the conditions to be right the windows must be down and some good music playing on the radio. Country roads around my house are usually fairly empty and since I drive them often I know them like the back of my hand. I know where the 90 degree turns are and the little humps that make you feel like you left your stomach behind. I hit the turns just as fast as you can safely take them without even thinking. On the straightaways, I quickly give into the temptation to hit 60 mph to have that satisfying feeling of the wind rushing in and blocking all other noises out.
The second reason I came up with is that driving and thus speeding as well is in my blood. My dad has been a truck driver for over 30 years and is very good at his profession. He also has a heavy foot although he tries not to admit to us. I don't know how many tickets he's gotten over the years but I know its quite a few. I have inherited from him the love for driving and traveling. So my claim is that speeding is also genetic.
I'm really trying to work on this problem now that I've somewhat diagnosed my problem. I try to be more deliberate about my driving and not just kick myself onto autopilot which for me tends to set the speeds too high:)

1 comment:

Sam said...

I'm laughing...at you. Oh wow, you make me smile. Althuogh I don't really do it anymore, I know what you mean. I've taken those little humps at about 70-80 mph. It's a rush!

However...