Saturday, November 22, 2008

In Defense of Snow

I have certain friends who do not share my passion for snow. Whenever they get all "Bah, humbug," about snow, I feel like a little child who has been told that Santa Claus does not really exist. Who can't enjoy fluffy whiteness falling from the sky and making the city and country look beautiful and clean for at least a little while? The dancing snowflakes hold stories and memories of cups of hot chocolate, families laughing around a fireplace, people whipping down slopes on skis, and many a great scene from book or movie savored from childhood. My mind always travels to the Laura Ingall Wilder series and how Laura and her sisters would do these awesome things in the snow like sledding, sleigh riding, and snowball battles. I wish I had time and enough snow to enjoy these activities myself.
The cool thing about snow is that each snowflake is different. To me that reminds me that I don't have to just savor past wintery memories. Each new winter and snowfall is a fresh chance to try some new memory-making method. I am still hoping for that chance to sing "Jingle Bells" as I'm really riding in a sleigh on some snowy evening. I hope I have convinced at least several people that snow is worth it for the fun and beauty that it provides. Now bring on the SNOW!

10 comments:

TKB said...

Ok...I don't like the snow, but if/when it comes let's make a deal that we'll go downtown some evening this winter and ice skate on the square, go get a hot drink at the Starbucks two blocks away, and then ride in a horse drawn carriage...ok? It's not a sleigh, but it's still really cool! We'll make it a date...You be the R and I'll be your A. :) Luv ya! (and your retarded love of the snow...)

Leanna said...

That sounds way fun! It's a plan:)

Sam said...

Great post! I agree with your sentiments whole-heartedly and think anyone who disagrees with us, is simply a pessimistic grinch.

Melissa Phelps said...

I love fresh snow. What is it about snow that is controversial?

Sam said...

The title of your post is "In Defense of Snow". Actually, I think snow needs no defense. It speaks for itself.

Anonymous said...

Wait...there's no Santa?

Megobuddy said...

Such a romantic post Leanna....I love it! (No pun intended.)

Yep, the first snow that sticks is always so beautiful. It's so nastalgic.

Issa said...

At last someone who shares my love of the season! Of course I am a fickle thing, my favorite part of the seasons is that they change! But this is my holiday and my time of year! Nothing but christmas song from now till january, lights and decorations up, partys, everything! bring it on!

Dwayne said...

The whiteness of the fluff
Quickly turns to brown mire.
Now enough is enough
For Spring do I suspire.

Nasty, dingy, so gross,
The snow simply must go!
Its filth makes one morose
Like a curse from below.

My position is plain,
And my platform secure.
Preference I cannot feign;
Alas, I must endure...


I'm just taking the liberty do cast the first nay-sayer vote... Lol. ;)

Eric and Hannah Avery said...

I LOVE snow! It is so romantic. And I love to throw snowballs! How I would love to ride in a one horse open sleigh!