Monday, February 11, 2008

My Reactions to the Frigidness

When I was at Starbuck's tonight, I began to think of what I could blog about. My mind began to wander and in its ramblings it struck upon the memory of talking about visiting the Carribean.

Before my trip to Starbucks, I was participating in my normal Monday evening activity which is physical science lab (the equivalent of beating my head against a brick wall). Tonight was not as bad as some nights as far as the lab work was concerned, but the temperature of the room was frigid. This was due to the fact that a window was open and could not be closed because it was jammed, frozen, broken... Who knows? (According to Maslow's hierachy of needs, we should not have had lab because it was so cold some of us undoubtedly were unable to learn.) My friend and lab partner Alvin made some comment about his home in Grenada and the fact that I have been there and then....

I am floating on the crystal blue waves of the Carribean Ocean. With my goggles and snorkel in place, I look like the typical tourist, but I don't care because this is totally awesome. I'm pretty sure they could come up with some sort of therapy that consists of just allowing your body to bob up and down in the waves of clear, warm salt water. I am not a person who generally forms very distinct memories of events in my life, but I will never forget that sensation of being cradled by the waves. Wow!! The sand on the beach was white (or at least it looked really white compared to the beaches on the east coast), and my friends and I had this expanse of beach completely to ourselves. We exposed our very pale selves to the genial sun hoping for that perfect tan in only a weeks time. When that got boring, we began doing beach Olympics which included the long jump, cartwheels, and various other activities.

Why am I rambling about this cherished memory? It is my rebellion against this fearsome weather which we are currently experiencing. Even if it feels like 10 below in Cincinnati at least I have a happy place to go in my mind:)

2 comments:

Melissa Phelps said...

Go To Your HAPPY PLACE!!! And can I come too? Hey, you can too do creative writing... you'll be an expert by the time we turn in essays. ooh, I'd better get working or u guys will totally show me up :p

Alanna said...

Aww...I enjoyed your blog. Like Melissa said, You can do creative writing...It was great!! Thanks, again for calling me with the great news. I slept till noon!! :-)