Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Famous GBS Volleyball Semifinals

The edges of the gym and the balcony level were filled with screaming GBS students last night. Some I'm sure would claim to be fans while others were doing what they do best- just creating a spirit of excitement by yelling raucously at each other, the ref, and the teams playing. Adrenaline was running high on both sides as two well-matched teams duked it out on the court. I know from personal experience that it was the most intense volleyball I have ever played here at GBS. This was not necessarily due to the quailty of the playing but the intensity of the players. Everybody was pulling out all stops, sacrificing elbows and knees for the sake of the team.

During the two semifinal matches last night, there were brilliant saves on both sides. My team's opposition presented a wall-like force against the powerful hits of Bennett and Jesse. On the other hand, however, we would not take losing as an option. After a very close first game that we lost, we handed them a 21-3 victory. What an upset! But I was impressed with the Disciples resiliance as they proceeded to match us point for point in the deciding game. Due to Brian's solid serves we were able to build a 5 point lead which led us to a 15-9 victory. Go Defenders! I am so proud of you!

After my heart stopped beating double rhythm and my face lost its beetlike quality, the reality of what had happened set in. I was in the perfect mood to do something crazy. But all that was available to me was watching the other semifinal match in the gym. This turned out to be the perfect release for my excess adrenaline-induced energy. So I joined the screaming maniacs surrounding the volleyball court. The spirit of excitement was so prevalent nobody noticed how nuts I was acting. The team I was supporting managed to pull out two wins following a loss, and this provided the icing for the cake of the evening.

Now, I'm ready for Friday night. I have this feeling it will be somewhat anticlimatic since the energy and excitement of last night will be somewhat diffused as students will be more spread out and focused on their own agendas for the evening. I think the game will prove to be worth the effort that it took to get there. May the best team win!

3 comments:

Sam said...

may the best team win. ah, yes...which would just happen to be [edit]'s team....lol

Ike said...

Go [edit]'s team!
May your, ah, defense be strong!

Joseph said...

this bring back memories of getting blasted square in the face with a dirty red-white-and-blue vollyball back when I went to AWC. yup, I guess I just had to learn the hard way. (mumble to self "my nose will never be the same")