Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Trucking with My Pops

I've been a trucker's daughter for my whole life and know pitifully little about this aspect of our transportation system. My dad got a new job a few years ago where they allow him to take one passenger at a time if permission is asked. With my reduced work hours this summer, I decided this was the time to take advantage of this opportunity. All in all it was a really cool experience and I just wanted to hit the high points of interest.
First, I was fascinated by trucker lingo. Try translating this:
"A bear just pulled over a hammer-down four wheeler at the 205." (What I got from it was that a police officer had pulled over a fast-moving four wheeled vehicle at mile marker 205. It sounds so much cooler the way they say it, though.)
I got to see the St. Louis Arch during the day and also night which was pretty cool. I preferred definitely the nightime view to the daytime one.
Also, I slept so much I think I was getting tired from sleeping. I was able to finish reading 3 books and spent alot of quality time with my cool dad.
It was great spending time with my dad who I don't see a whole lot since he's gone all week long. We had plenty of time to talk and I felt like I definitely got a better view of what his world is like. I'm glad I can relate better to him now.

4 comments:

Alanna said...

That's awesome! Glad you had a good time! I totally love the lingo. :)

Sam said...

Ah, memories. I trucked around with a Christian guy from my church doing cabinet deliveries for about a year during HS. It's fun seeing the country and traveling, and you also get to know the person your with a lot better! Also some more lingo - Bear = state patrol. Snake = local cop. Parking lot = big semi that carries all those cars. Lincoln logs = a truck with a load of logs.

Dixie said...

Very Cool.
Brings back some memories; I took a few short trips with my Dad when he was 'haulin logs'
I also learned this, I don't know if its a song or what...
"Back on the road with the hammer down, tryin to see if there're any bears around."

Leanna said...

Thanks for the info, guys! I find this stuff very intriguing.