Thursday, January 17, 2008

A Day in the Life of a "New R.A."

So did you want to be an R.A.*? Did you sit at the R.A.'s table before you became one? Did you ask for the job? How does it feel? Do you like your new job? You should give them points! You do know as an R.A. your gonna lose all your friends. So are you going to change?


These are all comments I have heard within the past 10 days. To be honest I have struggled with my carnal nature when asked these questions. On many occasions I had to bite my tongue and say to myself, "Now be nice be nice Leanna, these people are just curious about your new job." I really wanted to just rattle off some sarcastic response and be completely stupid. Well, when I agreed to be an R.A., it was because I thought it would just be a little sidenote on an otherwise normal semester. So far it has dominated my normal college habits. It's hard for me to handle all that change at once so the past two weeks have been a little strained for me. But God has definitely been good to me by consistently ministering to me through the school-wide revival and services at church.

My opinion of an R.A. was that they were a person put in a position to help keep the dorm from going nuts. I always thought they were pretty cool, and they didn't invade my space to much so we cohabitated very well. So my line of reasoning was something like this when Miss V asked me if I would consider being the 2nd floor R.A. "I like the R.A.s. This job seems like an answer to prayer in the financial area so why not?" I talked to God about it and had this distinct feeling that this opportunity had come along at this point in my life for a specific reason. So I took a big step and accepted the position. Little did I know how much it would alter my image in many peoples' minds.

I guess my answer to the aforementioned questions would be "No, I am not power tripping. I'm not planning on changing except hopefully only to become more mature in my walk with God. I am still the same person and I still feel the same way about all my friends and acquaintances on campus." I wish and hope they will feel the same way about me.
*R.A.= resident assisstant

3 comments:

coffeechica said...

i just linked to ur blog from someone elses. so glad i discovered you:) just want to say i think you are really cool, and were really cool even before your new position! glad you are RA on my floor. i am excited about this semester! :) esther

Ike said...

You rule *Ra!


*The Sun god of Ancient Egypt, ruler of the heavens and above the other gods.

Char said...

Just found your blog by checking out someone else's blog by discovering someone else's.... anyway I COMPLETELY identify with the "New R.A." --the reasoning (financial help), the floor (2nd), all the questions, the unmentioned work load,....enjoy (she said with a half smile)